Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7 - Leviticus 22:31

You shall keep my commandments
and observe them: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 22:31
A week or so ago in my sermon I talked about the Kosher laws. I told about a friend – a non-orthodox rabbi – who said he understood intellectually why many Jews were relaxed on the Kosher laws nowadays.

Given by God – before refrigeration – to protect a people’s health, many reason that those health needs don’t apply anymore … and so they don’t keep Kosher.

But my friend does.

Why? Because it forces him – every time he eats – to think about his commitment to God. (Try to eat out inexpensively in America without meat and cheese touching! He usually orders a salad … no bacon bits, please.)

Not every one of God’s law will make sense every time to every one of us.

That’s not the point.

The point is … Obedience. Submission. Commitment. The point is humbling our will (and willfulness) and following at a cost.

Our natural human tendency is to think we know best for ourselves. Obedience is trust. Obedience says, “God you are bigger than I am. You have a much, much bigger perspective. I will follow you – not because it makes sense, but because in obedience I grow closer to you.”

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who always
thinks he knows best
… and therefore,
needs to humble himself
(before he gets humbled!)

No comments:

Post a Comment