Friday, May 17, 2013

May 17 - Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul
Psalm 23:1-3

I often go to hospital rooms before a big surgery. When I’m there, I generally pray for three things:
  1. Peace before the surgery.
  2. Healing through the surgery (restoration).
  3. And patience through the days (and weeks) of recovery.

A friend is having surgery this week. This person lives in another state. Since I cannot be there to comfort them in person, I sent along the following prayers.

I thought you might like to look in … and perhaps learn a new piece of vocabulary for your prayers …

Lord, you are our shepherd. We shall not want. You maketh us to lie down in green pastures, you lead us beside still waters, you restoreth our soul!

Gracious heavenly Father, you are in the restoring business. Therefore, we pray to you in confidence. Heal this friend! Lord, she is your child – and my friend for whom I give thanks. Heal her. Use the ordinary miracles of doctors and nurses and medicines. But apply to her healing your supernatural miracles too – the things that can only come from heaven, the marvelous interventions that we may not know until that great and glorious day in the future.

As my friend prepares for this surgery, maketh her to lie down in your green pastures. Give her peace and calm and assurance as she awaits the surgery – with thankfully little nervousness! And yet the unknown always makes us think a little extra. So calm those nerves with the comfort of your green pastures.

And as she recuperates – a process which can never seem to go quickly enough – lead her beside your still waters. As the days of healing are inevitably slow, let her drink in your nearer presence and hear new whispers of your still small voice.

Loving Lord, I give you thanks for my friend. Heal her. Protect her. Encourage her. And let her be a light to doctors, nurses, maids, and techs, and all who come in contact with her.

Amen!!

By the way … I often pray this way for you too.   

In Christ’s Love,
a shepherd
(indeed, an under-shepherd)

No comments:

Post a Comment