Saturday, May 11, 2013

May 11,12 - Isaiah 1:3

The ox knows its owner,
and the donkey its master’s crib;
but my people do not understand.
Isaiah 1:3

My wife owns chickens. And let me assure you that it’s not only ox and donkeys who know their owners. It’s dumb birds who know their “family” too.

When we first brought our chickens into our family, our sweet, old black lab looked at these baby birds as a potential dinner. (Lucy is a very sweet dog. But according to canine instinct, little things that run around might just be food.) Therefore, Mary Louise carefully introduced these little babies into our “pack.”

By the time the chicks grew from tennis-ball-size to softball-size, Mary Louise would take them out into the grass for their first real explorations of the world. The dogs would come, of course, and lay in the sun nearby. Within moments the chicks would flock to Lucy, and crawl all over our dog. Lucy would look up at us, with big brown eyes that were saying, “Really!”

The ox knows its owner. The donkey knows its master’s crib. Even the lowly chicken knows its pet dog. “So why,” asks God, “do my people not know and understand me?”

Here’s the truth about most animals: What they know and appreciate is a trusted source of food. For example, my grandfather’s sheep didn’t really come to my grandfather; rather, the sound of his voice was the sound of food. (I’ll bet you didn’t know that food had a sound.)

We’re just as dependent upon our Master for food as my grandfather’s sheep, but we’re prideful enough to think that it’s our hard work that feeds us.

Why don’t people know and understand God? It’s ultimately because of pride. Therefore, if you want to grow closer to God, examine your pride.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who wants to be a tick
on my heavenly Father’s back
(wait … that’s a chick -- not a tick --
on my Father’s back!)


No comments:

Post a Comment