Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 23 - Luke 19:46

"It is written,
"My house shall be a house of prayer’;
but you have made it a den of robbers."
Luke 19:46

We just had a week of prayer.

Wow! (Thanks, David Chotka.)

If you had a chance to pray – especially Tuesday night – it was a gift from God.

We don’t want that gift to end!

Here is the link for 50 Days of Prayer (http://www.alliancepray.ca/pdf/50DaysofPrayerBooklet.pdf). Pastor David recommended this as a next step for the church. I’m recommending this as a next step for the church. Indeed, I’m recommending this as the next step for you … and me too! I want to grow in prayer.

Here’s how we’ll do it … We’ll gather on Sundays at the Sunday School hour. We’ll work through some of the material on Sunday.

Why only “some”? Because …
  • Because Sundays between services aren’t time enough to do it all.
  • Because we don’t want just head knowledge. If we’re going learn to pray, we need to spend time praying.
  • And because I can use these devotionals to cover the rest of the material … and hold it in front of us on a daily basis.

Now let’s get specific … “50 Days of Prayer” was a guide for praying for Pastor David’s denomination – Christian and Missionary Alliance (of Canada) – to choose a new denominational president. Thus, a few questions reference that.

Here’s what I want you to do instead! Pick one issue you want to pray through in your life. And every time you hear “choose a new president” replace it with something like “choose whether to take the new job” or “choose whether to buy a new car” or “choose which activities are God-honoring as my family sets our schedule for next fall.” On Sundays, I will also give you congregational issues for us as a group to pray through. Indeed, let’s be purposeful.

If you’d like for us to print you a copy, let me know. You can have it for free, of course (but if you’ve got five extra bucks in your pocket, let’s not blow the copier budget!).

I look forward to fulfilling the prophecy of Isaiah (56:7) and Jesus (Lk 19:46). May Spirit of Joy – more and more and more – be called a House of Prayer!

In Christ’s Love,
a guy signing up
for 50 days



No comments:

Post a Comment