Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Apr 4 - Galatians 6:14

As for me, God forbid that
I should boast about anything
except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Because of that cross,
my interest in this world died long ago
Galatians 6:14

Why do people boast? Because something wonderful has happened.

Something wonderful has happened! Jesus died for you and me!

Paul is saying, “It’s not something I’ve done that’s wonderful. The wonder is what Christ has done for me.”

And even better, there’s a second wonder in this verse. Paul says, “because of that cross, my interest in this world died long ago.”

My first temptation was to ask, “Has your interest in the world died?” But I’m not asking that because I know very few of us for whom it has – including me. I’m interested in sports, in television, in politics. I listen to secular music – country. I even read the entertainment page occasionally.

The question we need to ask, then, is: “What empowered Paul’s interest in the world to die? And how do I get some of that?”

I think the answer is Paul’s powerful understanding of his own brokenness. In Romans 7 he says, “18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me … I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?”

When we are a convicted of the true wretchedness of sin, then we begin to boast in the truest the blessing – the cross – saying, “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:25)

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who wants to love
the cross more
and the world less

No comments:

Post a Comment