Monday, April 23, 2012

Apr 23 - Exodus 24:7

“All that the Lord has spoken
we will do, and we will be obedient.”
Exodus 24:7

How often have you made promises like this?

·         “I won’t cheat on my diet.”
·         “I won’t touch another cigarette.”
·         “I’ll never tell another lie.”
·         “If God gets me out of this jam, I promise that I’ll never ______.”
·         And “All that the Lord has spoken we will do.”

It’s a noble sentiment, and I’m sure the Israelites genuinely meant this when they said it. But because of human sin, the Israelites couldn’t keep this promise more than a few days. And as long as we’re human, we can never completely keep this kind of promise either.

Rather than filling our promises with too many “always” and “nevers,” maybe we should just quote the Psalms, “Forgive me from hidden errors … forgive me for all my sins … forgive me, that I may be refreshed” (Ps 19:12, 25:18, 39:13).

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who always
has reason to say,
“Forgive me”







No comments:

Post a Comment