Sunday, April 15, 2012

Apr 15 - Proverbs 23:26

My child, give me your heart,
and let your eyes observe my ways.
Proverbs 23:26
Perhaps the most important word that should describe you and me is “disciple.”

We know about the twelve disciples, but what does discipleship really mean?

A disciple is like an apprentice. An apprentice signs on with a master, a tutor. In the case of a blacksmith, for example …

·         An apprentice’s first year was probably spent cleaning the shop and stoking the fire. (But a good apprentice was always watching.)
·         An apprentice’s second year was probably spent pre-heating the metal in the fire, so that the master craftsman could do the more skilled chores. (And a good apprentice was always watching.)
·         An apprentice’s third year was probably spent bending the metals into the rough shapes, leaving the fine details to the experienced craftsman. (And as the expect blacksmith continued to work, the good apprentice was always watching).
·         An apprentices’ final year was spent shaping the final product. (And the experience craftsman was always watching and correcting and encouraging and always helping his pupil blossom.)

Jesus – the master craftsman and carpenter – could have easily echoes Proverbs 23. Indeed, I believe he says to each of us, “My Child, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways.”

In the beginning of our faith walk, it may seem like all we’re doing is the mundane tasks, but if we keep our eyes continually on Jesus, the master craftsman, we’ll grow in skill, responsibility, freedom, and fun.

In Christ’s Love,
a spy
(I’ve been watching Christ close!)

No comments:

Post a Comment