Monday, April 30, 2012

Acts 30 - John 10:11

Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd.
The good shepherd lays down
his life for the sheep."
John 10:11

To help us understand his identity, Jesus explained his role with many word-pictures.

A shepherd means that Jesus is patient and attentive. It means that he leads and guides. Most of all, if he's a good shepherd, it means that rather than run, he'll fight to protect us. Indeed, if necessary -- and it was -- he was willing to lay down his life to save us.

That's what this analogy says about Jesus. But what does this say about us? 

It says that we're sheep ... which is not a compliment. It means that we're stubborn and not too bright. It means that we're wayward and prone to straying. Most of all, it means that we're vulnerable.

I don't know about you, but I don't like those descriptions. And I mostly don't like them because they're all too true!

I am occasionally willful and stubborn. I've been known to do some dumb things. I like to go my own selfish and willful way. And if it wasn't for Christ, I'd be very vulnerable -- indeed, doomed.

I'm a sheep.

But thank heavens. I have a shepherd!

In Christ's Love,
Baa!


No comments:

Post a Comment