Monday, September 13, 2010

September 13 - Psalm 65:9

You visit the earth and water it,
you greatly enrich it;
the river of God is full of water;
you provide the people with grain,
for so you have prepared it.
Psalm 65:9
Driving this morning, I saw a busy field. A big green combine was harvesting corn.
My grandfather and uncles are farmers. So I know these farmers worked hard for this season's crops. But God gave the growth.
In a purely human sense, I trust those farmers.
In a purely human sense, I trust the mills and the grocery stores.
Think about it. I don't grow a thing. So I must trust others to eat.
But God gave the growth.
Today's scripture reminds us that it's ultimately God who gives us the rain and the grain.
And here's my question for today. If we totally rely on the farmers and grocery stores for our sustenance, why is it so hard to trust in God -- totally, fully, completely?
God wants to take our fields, our families, and our lives and "greatly enrich [them]." So why do take back control, raise our own crops, and say, "Look what me, myself, and I did."
No ... Look what God does ... and trust what he wants to do.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who loves seeing
those big old tractors
(... but wants to see God more)

No comments:

Post a Comment