Sunday, September 27, 2009

+ Hosea 2:9 + Discipline


Hosea 2:9 Therefore I will take back my grain in its time, and my wine in its season; and I will take away my wool and my flax, which were to cover her nakedness.

Nakedness ...

Before the Fall -- Genesis 2 and 3 -- Adam and Eve were "naked and not ashamed." The first thing they realized after their first sin, however, was both their nakedness and their shame. Fortunately, by the end of Genesis 3, God in his mercy does what? He covers both! And that's a powerful picture of God.

By the middle of Hosea 2, however, God is reversing this grace again. Therefore, the question for today is, why does the generous God who gives "9 grain" and "9 wine" and "9 wool" and "flax," also and occasionally choose to "10 uncover [our] shame"?

Why? The answer is love and discipline.

The history books of the Old Testament are a roller coaster ride of up and down, faithfulness and unfaithfulness. So is Hosea. The bride in Hosea -- which is clearly Israel -- is guilty of "2 adultery" and "2 whoring." How will God respond? Anyway he can in order to try us draw us wanderers to himself!

Sometimes God will woo and "14 allure her (us)." Other times he will "9 take back" and discipline. He will "9 cover" and "10 uncover." His whole passion is to draw us to himself. The question is: Which one do you need in to draw you right now?

Lord, when I am broken, woo me gently. When I am proud, discipline me. Mainly, just don't give up on me.


+

1 comment:

  1. Aren't we so fortunate that God doesn't give up on us. Even when we've given up on ourselves. Thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete