Sunday, September 13, 2009

Daniel 7:9,10,15 + Prophecy


Daniel 7:15 As for me, Daniel, my spirit was troubled within me, and the visions of my head terrified me.

How many of us -- when reading chapters like Daniel 7 -- feel troubled, terrified, or at least confused?

Many readers find a powerful symmetry when reading Daniel. Many find links between the first and last chapters, and then between the chapters 4 and 5 (proud rulers humbled), 3 and 6 (faith saves from lions and furnaces), and 2 and 7 (the four kingdoms). In chapter two, the four kingdoms predicted four key eras of human history (clay, iron, bronze, and more precious metals). In chapter seven, the four kingdoms predicted the beastly character of four coming empires -- Babylon, Medo-Persian, Greek, and Roman (or possibly others).

Now ... it takes a much, much, much longer analysis to discuss the apocalyptic visions and writings of Daniel! So let's simply focus on this: Daniel had an overwhelming vision, and in it, he glimpses God. Troubled? Terrified? Let's leave today with AWE!!! And let's turn verses 9 and 10 into a prayer ...

Lord, "I watch[]", I wait, I want to know you.
Your "throne[ is] set in place."
You are "Ancient of Days."
"White as snow," your purity is beyond my comprehension.
"Pure [as] wool," your holiness is as comforting as a blanket.
And yet, there are "fiery flames"
to remind me that I must bow before your majesty.
Allow me to join the "thousand thousands [who] serve" you today.


+

No comments:

Post a Comment