Thursday, September 10, 2009

Daniel 4:25 + Pride


Daniel 4:25 [King Nebuchadnezzar,] you shall be driven away from human society, and your dwelling shall be with the wild animals. You shall be made to eat grass like oxen, you shall be bathed with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over you, until you have learned that the Most High has sovereignty over the kingdom of mortals, and gives it to whom he will.

King Nebuchadnezzar stood on the roof of a tall building, surveyed his kingdom, and said, "30 Is this not magnificent Babylon, which I have built ...?" Do you hear the pride? God's surely hears that kind of pride frequently from successful people.

Therefore, God sent Nebuchadnezzar a dream that all proud people would do well to remember. Imagine it like this: What would you do if God "25 dr[ove you] from society ... [made] your dwelling ... with wild animals ... and made [you] eat grass like oxen"?

It happened to Nebuchadnezzar. For seven years, he was stripped of more than his kingly glory. He was stripped of his humanity. He was a long-haired cow. And his response? Humbled, Nebuchadnezzar praised the real king -- "I blessed the Most High ... for his sovereignty is [the real and] everlasting sovereignty."

Lord, humble my pride before I need to be turned into a cow! Help me "27 atone from [my] sins with righteousness, and [atone for my] iniquities with mercy to the oppressed," and help me "37 praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all [your] works are truth ..."


+

No comments:

Post a Comment