Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Oct 5 - Isaiah 50:9

It is the Lord God

who helps me …

Isaiah 50:9

 

How does the Lord help you?

 

Does he teach? Does he encourage? Does he comfort?

 

The fruits of the Spirit include peace, patience, kindness, and self control. Does the Lord weave those into your life?

 

Does the Lord occasionally provide physical blessings, like strength and healing? Today, let me ask you to consider one more way in which the Lord blesses us. Today, I intentionally used half of the verse provided. I wanted you to first focus on the many ways in which the Lord helps; now, I want you to focus on one additional way. Scripture says,

 

It is the Lord who helps me;

who will declare me guilty?

 

In other words, God is our lawyer. Our advocate. The world may try to judge us. Satan my persecute us. Situations may handcuff us. But who will declare me guilty, if the judge of all creation is on my side?!

 

My favorite scriptural expression of this is in Romans 8 (and I’ll add a little commentary to make it clear) …

 

33 Who will bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who [instead of charging us,] justifies [us]! 34 [And] who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who [instead of condemning us] died [for us], … was raised [declaring victory], who [now sits] at the right hand of God [constantly] interced[ing] for us. [Father, I know she’s sinned. You know he’s guilty. But this is one of mine! I’ve paid for her sin. I’ve taken his penalty upon myself.]  35 [And if Christ is at the right hand of the Father, pleading your freedom, then] who will separate us from th[is] love …? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, 37 No, [for] in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy with a

high-priced attorney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment