Saturday, October 28, 2017

Oct 28/29 - Hebrews 10:23

Let us hold fast to the

confession of our hope

without wavering, for he who

has promised is faithful.

Hebrews 10:23

I was the starting first baseman on a team heading into the Little League championship game. But just before the game, I started playing on the monkey bars. I must have been showing off to someone because I went down and back and down again across the hand-over-hand bars. 

And I held fast. 

I was proud of myself until I let go. And then I looked down at my hands. Massive blisters - as big as a small pancake - covered each palm. 

I don't even remember whether we won the championship that day ... but I definitely remember playing with my hands wrapped in medical tape. 

There are things we ought to "hold fast" to ... and things that we shouldn't! As today's verse suggests, faith is one of the things that deserves a firm grip and unwavering attention. 

But why?

I suppose I could answer that in a number of ways. But try this one: In a slippery world, we should hold fast to the only one who'll never let us go. Indeed, hold fast to God because God holds fast to you. That’s basically what today’s verse says. It tells us that the Lord "has promised [to be] faithful." Indeed, that's how he holds us fast. 

The next question then … How do we hold him fast? Today’s verse tells us again: Through faith - "the confession of our hope."

In Christ's Love,

a guy who doesn't think

he could go down and back

and down again on the

hand-over-hand bars

anymore

(Good thing for my hands!)


No comments:

Post a Comment