Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Sept 28 - Psalm 8:4

When I look at your heavens,

the work of your fingers,

the moon and the stars

that you have established;

what are human beings that

you are mindful of them,

mortals that you care for them?

Psalm 8:4

 

I was with a friend’s child recently. This little one carefully arranged a group of stuffed animals and cried out, “Everybody, watch! We’re going to do a show!”

 

The cry of joyful, playful child was, “Look at me!”

 

That’s cute ... when done by a child.

 

It’s not so cute when adults do it! Prima donna is one way to describe people who are clamoring for attention. “He thinks the world revolves around him,” is a phrase we’ve all been tempted to say.

 

Fortunately ... that’s not the prevailing attitude of the Psalms! The Psalmist looks at the heavens, comprehends “the moon and the stars,” and realizes -- in awe -- that this is what God has (and only God could) “establish.” And instead of crying “look at me,” instead of thinking like a prima donna that the world revolves around him, the Psalmist bows in wonder and humility:  “what are human beings that you are [even] mindful of [us].”

 

I hope the first thing you hear in today’s verse is awe. “Wow! God is so big.”

 

The second thing I hope you hear is love. “God may be vast, but he’s also personal. And his ‘mindfulness’ of you and me shows his constant love and care.

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who likes watching kids

as they think they can bring

stuffed animals to life

(but has a word for adults

who think the same thing:

Delusional!

 

I wonder … how many of us – you and me –

occasionally act like the world revolves around us

and are thus delusional, not giving credit to God

 

No comments:

Post a Comment