Monday, September 25, 2017

Sept 26 - Deuteronomy 30:19

I have set

before you life and death,

blessings and curses.

Choose life.


When I was younger, I loved long buffet tables. One hundred delightful food options spread before me. And every serving was my choice. My delight. When I was younger, it was truly all you can eat. 

 

Nowadays, a buffet is both a delight and a curse. My eyes are far bigger than my stomach. I can't eat all I want to eat. I require a few servings of moderation. I even throw a few healthy things on the plate - a teenage waste of a good appetite, now digestive wisdom. 

 

Life is like a buffet. Some people approach life like it is all you can eat. It's hedonistic. Often selfish. They have huge appetites. 


I liked buffets because they were a rare exception. A steady diet of bacon grease will kill you, but a night of acting like a pig - twelve pieces of bacon - was fun. Justifiable. The sign said, "All you can eat," right?


But how many people live like that? We have our normal life, but we excuse (even justify) some occasion splurging. It's the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" attitude, right? It's college (even high school) students studying hard all week and then justifying blowing off some steam by binge drinking. It's the husband who's honorable ninety-nine percent of the time, but on a business trip when "no one is looking" ...

 

An everyday buffet of sin is obviously destructive. But occasional binging and splurging destroys our more foundation just as surely. 

 

How many of us have found that as our faith deepens, we've gradually quit doing some of the things we used to do. We're just not as attracted to sin. Our tastes are maturing - growing spiritual maturity. We're getting wiser in our choices. We know the effects - long term, but even immediate - to giving into our appetites. 

 

The Lord says, "I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life." Life is a buffet. Choose life!


In Christ's Love,

a guy who appreciates the

subtle change in advertising

at some buffets ...

instead of "All you can eat,"

it's "All you care to eat"

(Take care! Choose life!)

No comments:

Post a Comment