Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sept 28 - Matthew 5:9

Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:9

On the day I write this, the headlines (like the seemingly do everyday) scream of ISIS' brutality, Syrian deaths, border riots in Europe, and cop killings in America.

There is no peace.

And what's more, I'm one of just seven billion people on this beleaguered planet. I want the violence to stop. But how can little me be a peacemaker?

Discouragement is Satan's tactic and lie. "You're just one little person, Ed. You can't do anything." So, overwhelmed, I sit passively on my couch and numb myself with banal (and often crude) sit-coms, right?

Wrong.

You and I are peacemakers -- or not -- one relationship at a time.

When we are pure of heart, meek, and seeking mercy (other beatitudes, of course), we positively shape our heart, our disposition, and our impact on a peace-less world.

What is daily -- and powerful --peacemaking?

·       We love.

·       We forgive.

·       We help and serve.

·       We stand up boldly for truth ... while somehow simultaneously turning the other cheek.

·       We hunger and thirst for righteousness ... and refuse to compromise with crass expediency.

·       We stop winking at sin and evil.

·       We stop passing by the poor and oppressed.

·       We bless the children in our sphere.

·       We advocate for truth.

·       You don't complain "when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on [Jesus'] account" (another beatitude). And we change the world one relationship at a time.

In Christ's Love,

a guy who is more than

1 in 7,000,000,000

-- because me and God

are always a majority

No comments:

Post a Comment