Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jan 17 - Proverbs 20:12

The hearing ear and the seeing eye –
the Lord has made them both.
Proverbs 20:12

I am an artist. I am creative. It is an incredible gift from God.

Viewed correctly, it is reflection of God himself. As we all are, I am made in his image. And like you – each with our own unique gifts – I get to participate in something he loves … creativity!

What’s your gift?! How do you get to participate in something God loves. That’s a gift viewed correctly.

Some gifts – viewed pridefully – can have the opposite effect. They can draw us away from God as we puff ourselves up with ourselves.

I’ve done this with my talents too. In comparison with other people, I can view myself as more talented in one area or another. That’s poisonous. Instead of viewing my gifts as treasures from God and giving thanks, I’m prideful about what I can do well and jealous about what I can’t.

Have you ever done that?

My great faith awakening moments came when my creativity was utterly humbled. It’s essentially summarized in today’s proverb. Yes, I can draw a beautiful ear, but it can’t hear. And I can paint a detailed eye, but it definitely can’t see.

It sounds elementary to say … but I’m not God. Pride puffs us up and blinds us to the glory of God. I give thanks that I was humbled. I give thanks … that God is God … that eyes see … and ears hear … that birds sing … and that you and I are alive to rejoice.

In Christ’s Love,
a lump of clay
in the Master’s hand


No comments:

Post a Comment