Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Jan 1 - Hebrews 5:7

In the days of his flesh,
Jesus offered up prayers and supplications,
with loud cries and tears,
to the one who was able to save him from death,
and he was heard because of
his reverent submission.
Hebrews 5:7

Last year, New Year’s day was a very good day. But not for the reason you might expect.

Last New Year’s, a member called and said, “Pastor, outwardly I have a very good life, but inside I’m very empty. Can you call me? I really need help.”

I called. I listened. I saw a heart that was broken, yielded, hungry for a new direction. So I said, “Have you ever really tried the classic Christian disciplines?” “Kind of,” the person said, “but I do them for a few weeks and then I forget.” “Let’s try them for real,” I said.
  •      The person started with daily devotions (these devotions online).
  •      Then began to crack their Bible and read the Gospels.
  •      Then they found a place of meaningful service within the church, helping a person in need.
  •      Their church attendance also became much more consistent.
  •      And “in the days of his flesh, [this person began to] offer up prayers and supplications, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.”

And an amazing thing began to happen: Growth occurred. Purpose returned. Joy surfaced. A family was transformed!

Are you hungry for that?

I doesn’t take a New Year’s Resolution. But it takes a little discipline. A little focus. A little openness. And a lot of help from the Spirit.

If you want to go on this journey this year, call me! It’s good to have a little direction, a little plan, a little accountability, and a bit of a friend.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who finds joy
in helping others find joy




  

No comments:

Post a Comment