Thursday, April 7, 2011

April 7 - Ruth 1:16

Ruth replied,
"Don't ask me to leave you and turn back.
I will go wherever you go and live wherever you live.
Your people will be my people,
and your God will be my God."
Ruth 1:16
 
I love the simple short story of Ruth -- one of David's grandmothers ... which means, one of Jesus' great-great-many-times-great-grandmothers too.
 
And I love how God wove the path of salvation through other cultures like through Ruth's Moabite roots.
 
And I love most of all the way Ruth honored her mother-in-law, a widow. Naomi actually asked Ruth to separate and stay home in Moab. But Ruth said -- and I can't help but hear it through the Chris Tomlin song (click here) -- "Where you go, I'll go; Where you live, I'll live. I will follow you."
 
I covet that simple pattern of ... love ... trust ... obedience ... submission.
 
And here's the best part: We don't love, trust, or obey for rewards -- because often we'll never see their full fruit in this life. But sometimes, our faithfulness does get noticed!
 
Boaz, for example, took note of Ruth's character and responded to her -- a foreign woman -- with generosity. And Ruth replied, "2:10 What have I done to deserve such kindness?" And Boaz said, "2:11 I ... know about everything you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband ... 12 May the Lord ... reward you fully."
 
God did!
 
And he rewarded kind-hearted Boaz too, with a wife ... and children ... and his own link to the Messiah through Ruth!
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's striving for simplicity
and its fruits 

No comments:

Post a Comment