Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17 - Psalm 59:1, 17, 16

For the choir director: A psalm of David,
regarding the time Saul sent soldiers
to watch David's house in order to kill him.
To be sung to the tune "Do Not Destroy!"

Rescue me from my enemies, O God.
Protect me from those
who have come to destroy me ...
for you, O God, are my refuge,
the God who shows me unfailing love.
[Therefore,] I will sing about your power.
I will shout with joy each morning
because of your unfailing love.

Psalm 59:1,17,16
Whenever I quickly tell the story 1 Samuel, I tell in great detail the story Eli, Samuel, and Saul. And I tell in great detail how all of this pointed to young David's annointing and defeat of Goliath. It's a long and delicious tale.
But then I generally do an injustice to the end of the story. I usually brush it off with two quick sentences: "After David defeated Goliath, Israel gave young David -- rather than King Saul -- credit for delivering them. Saul got jealous and spent the rest of 1 Samuel chasing David all over the Middle East.
The chase starts in earnest today -- 1 Samuel 21. But what I want to focus on is not the chase, but David's heart during the pursuit. And over and over again, the Psalms tell the story of David's heart. These are prayers written by the once and future king.
If you're like me, your tendency will be to skip over the "footnote" at the beginning of the Psalm. Don't! Make this a part of your reading. And then apply his circumstances to your life and your prayers.
For example, what are you feeling chased by and what are you hiding from? Try adding these words to your daily petitions: "You, O God, are my refuge."
In Christ's Love,
a refugee
who's found his place in him 

No comments:

Post a Comment