Friday, April 29, 2011

April 29 - 2 Samuel 6:16

as the Ark of the Lord entered the City of David,
Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window.
When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord,
she was filled with contempt for [her husband]
2 Samuel 6:16
 
I love watching teenagers. 
 
Indeed, I delight in seeing how frequently they are embarrassed by their parents! Their reactions are probably a lot Michal's when her husband David danced into town -- embarrassment, horror, and even "contempt."
 
But what I love more than watching red-faced teens is watching confident parents!
 
They know that their teens are appalled, but they are confident enough in who they are that they joyfully refuse to be cowed by their son or daughter's misplaced coolness. In other words, I love watching parents who are a lot like an exhuberant David!
 
Do you remember the song based on this passage. It sings, "When the Spirit of Lord moves in my heart, I'll dance, like David danced"?
 
"O Lord, may I be so exhuberant about my joy in your presence, that I never care about what others -- including teens -- think about my expressions of faith."
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who needs
a plaid shirt and a bandana
(get it? I'm an old square
who needs to learn to do
a more public dance of faith)

No comments:

Post a Comment