Saturday, May 14, 2016

May 14-15 - 54 - Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13

Bible Rank: 54

I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

 

I want you to memorize a verse. (This one’s easy! It’s a rhyme.)

 

You

can do

all thru

Christ who

Strengthens you!

 

Now, I must confess … My natural inclination is to tamp down your expectations when we encounter verses like this! I don’t want to promise you the moon, and have you get no more than Swiss cheese.

 

I mean, can you really say to a mountain, “Move!,” and have it tumble into the sea? Of course not, right? Let’s be realistic!

 

Yes, let’s flat-out ignore Jesus who said precisely this about moving mountains in Matthew 17:20 (and then added, “ nothing will be impossible for you … if you have faith the size of a mustard seed”). Yes, by all means, let’s flat-out ignore the promises of Scripture and the power of God so that we can be calm, cool, and rational, right?!

 

But guess what? When your faith insist on a faith with no wonder, guess what … you don’t get to see the wonder! You’ve shut your eyes. You’ve made an agreement with God, to not show you anything wonderful.

 

But … can I really point to the Rocky Mountains and say, “Tumble,” and expect to have a less mountainous drive between Denver and Salt Lake City? No!!! and Yes!!!

 

What do I mean?

 

·         What if I said, “Lord, I am mad at my neighbor. Move him … move him straight into the grave”? Would God be obligated to “obey” my command? Of course not!

 

·         Why, because asking God to kill my neighbor is not God’s will. It’s something I’d be doing without even a scant mustard seed of faith. It’d be in my anger. My malice. My hatred. My will. (And any of sixty-six other daunting self-centered sins).

 

·         So, let’s be clear on this: God is not obligated to do anything that’s not in line with what he intends to do!  

 

·         In fact, how often do we tell God what we intend to do … and then ask him to join us. Shouldn’t we be listening to what God wants to do, and then join him!

 

·         That’s what praying in God’s name is really all about!

 

·         It’s developing a relationship with God first.

 

·         Why? So that we can know his voice, hear his heart, and discern his plans, ways, and desires.

 

·         Then if we ask according to his plan and join him in what He’s doing already, then we surely can do all thru Christ who strengthens us … because he’s doing it around us … and with us … and through us!

 

·         Now, leveling the Rocky Mountains is so big that it’d obviously have to be God who did that, right? And it would be absolutely obvious that we did absolutely nothing to make it happen … except maybe saying prophetically, “Mountains be gone.” (And guess what … God needs an occasional prophet! So do what he clearly asks.)

 

·         But what it’s a smaller thing?! What if God wants you to teach Sunday School children (… and what if you really don’t want to … or don’t think you’re qualified)? In the same way that the Creator of the Universe could level mountains if he wanted to, He can make you a powerful Sunday School teacher if that’s what He wants! And the miracle might not be moving a whole mountain, but getting you to move a few things on your calendar and moving your hand up to volunteer. Because …

 

You

can do

all thru

Christ who

strengthens you!

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy with really strong biceps

(I’ve raised my arms up

to volunteer enough that

I’ve strengthened my muscles)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment