Monday, October 26, 2015

Oct 27 - Matthew 6:3-4

Jesus said,

“But when you give to the needy,

do not let your left hand know

what your right hand is doing,

so that your giving may be in secret.

Then your Father, who sees what

is done in secret, will reward you.”

Matthew 6:3-4

I am left handed. Very left-handed.

Mary Louise is left-handed too. But not so "very." Having to fully functioning pants made it much easier for her when she was a surgeon.

Me? I've often told people that my right hand is just here to make me look balanced.

Therefore, my left hand often doesn't know what my right hand is doing -- except I don't think that this was Jesus' point in today's verse!

I think he speaking figuratively, rather than literally!

Yesterday's verse talked about not trumpeting our generosity before others in order to be seen by them. He talks about giving in secret so that only our Father who sees in secret will know what we are doing.

Think about what this means… By giving in secret, we are not trying to curry favor with God. God knows our heart already! We can't fool him with false pride! We can't trick him with "secret generosity." No. "Giving in secret" means giving for the right reasons ...

·       because you love God

·       because you love others

·       because you're not looking for fanfare

·       because you simply and truly want to obey.

In Christ's Love,

a guy who -- in Worship Class in Seminary –

gave his first (practice) benediction,

using his left hand to "sign" the cross.

A guy who then had his worship professor

come flying out of his chair, saying, "Left means sinister!"

I said in response, "I'm not superstitious."

He said, "I don't care."

Therefore, a guy who now signs

the cross with his right hand!

(I wonder if my left hand knows what I am doing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment