Saturday, December 6, 2014

Dec 6,7 - Psalm 23:1a

The Lord is my shepherd

Psalm 23:1a

 

Psalm 23 is the most famous of all the Psalms. Each petition, therefore, deserves a quick glance.

 

So… what does the very first line tell us?

 

It's an analogy. Sheep were valuable and vulnerable, and God-our-protector (the shepherd) views us as valuable, even though we are generally weak and vulnerable. "Harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd" is how the Son of God often viewed his people (see Mt 9:36).

 

Perhaps the best commentary on sheep and shepherds – and God’s care for us – is from Jesus' description of his own role in John 10 ...

 

11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 ... and I lay down my life for the sheep.

How valuable are you in God's eyes? The Good Shepherd laid down his life for you.

 

And it’s not because you’re good enough to deserve it. No, “God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). Indeed, even if God had ninety-nine obedient sheep, he’d drop everything to go and search just for a wayward you (see Luke 15:4).

 

But to get to enjoy the fullest blessing of his grace, we need to claim the forgotten word in today's verse: "my."

 

Yes, God is indeed "a" shepherd. And that’s a nice (impersonal) truth. But when you claim that little word "my," you will discover the joy and freedom of a personal relationship with the King of Love.

 

In Christ's Love,

a thankful sheep who

loves “my” shepherd

 

The king of love my shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am his
And he is mine for ever.

Where streams of living water flow
My ransomed soul he leadeth,
And where the verdant pastures grow
With food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
But yet in love he sought me,
And on his shoulder gently laid,
And home rejoicing brought me.

In death's dark vale I fear no I'll
With thee, dear Lord, beside me;
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment