Thursday, May 29, 2014

DEVO: May 30 - Abide in me

I am the vine, you are the branches.

Those who abide in me and I in them

bear much fruit, because

apart from me you can do nothing.

John 15:5

 

Today, I’m priming the pump, getting us ready for our next topic in our journey toward joy and jubilee – fruitfulness.

 

“Bear[ing] much fruit” is the goal of today’s verse. It’s God’s goal, indeed, for your entire life.

 

The practical question is, “How?” And Jesus answers this in today’s verse. “I am the vine. You are the branches. Therefore, abide in me.”

 

Now, as I said, I’m only priming the pump today. Today, I simply want to define one term: “abide.” Indeed, if abiding is the source of fruitfulness and God’s purpose in your life, shouldn’t we be passionate about knowing exactly what this word means?!

 

“Abide” is the verb form of the word “abode.” And an “abode” is home; it’s the place you live in. “Abide,” therefore, is action of making our home somewhere.

 

So … where do you actively make your home?

 

Now, I could give you my street address … but it’s much deeper than that. (After all, my street address has changed many times in my life.) What Jesus is saying, where is your heart’s home? What is the primary source that the river of your thoughts flows from? What is the foundation of your values and ethics. Indeed, wherever your heart and your desires live, that’s your home. Wherever your thoughts reside, that’s your abode. Whenever you step out into the day, wherever your actions derive from, that’s where you abide.

 

And Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” He is to be our home. Our heart are to live in him. Our desires are to be shaped by him. Our thoughts are to flow from him. Our actions are to be grounded on him.

 

Indeed, by using a living image – of a vine and branches – Jesus says, “Life comes from me.” All of life. True life.

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who’s address is

316 Vine Street, Jesusville

No comments:

Post a Comment