Friday, April 4, 2014

LENT: Apr 5 - Leviticus 19:17a

You shall not

hate in your heart

anyone of your kin

Leviticus 19:17a

 

The longer I live, the more convinced I am of one thing:

 

The purpose of family (and church)

is to teach us forgiveness.

 

I’ve often joked that if I didn’t learn to forgive, I would have divorced Mary Louise within a year! Wait … before you gasp … if she didn’t forgive, she would have divorced me within a week!!!

 

Jesus said, Luke 17:1, that “it is impossible that no offenses should come.” Take out the double negative and let Holman Christian Standard translate instead of the New King James: "Offenses will certainly come.” To that I would add, “Offenses will certainly come when you live close to other people … like family!”

 

Let me ask you a question: Why did Jesus come? Answer: To forgive us of our sins. So how can we call someone call themselves a Christian if they are unforgiving? Or put more gently, how can we receive the peace and joy of Christ, if we “hate [our] kin in [our] heart”?

 

Yes, I know people hurt us. And the wounds stab five times deeper when it’s the people who are supposed to love and accept us the most – family – who do the hurting.

 

If you’re hurting and struggling to forgive, I’m not calling you unchristian! I’m saying that this explains your barrier to receiving the full joy of the kingdom. So please make an appointment and come and talk!

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who wants

to help you forgive

 

No comments:

Post a Comment