Friday, December 28, 2012

Dec 28 - Proverbs 14:31

Those who oppress the poor
insult their Maker.
Proverbs 14:31

At Thanksgiving, I heard someone say, “How American is it, to devote a day to saying thanks for all that we have … and then rush out that night to buy more at the Black Friday sales.”

I bring that up because in some lectionaries, this verse is often assigned for Christmas Eve. How odd. After all, Christmas is obviously a day dedicated to getting things

… at least that’s what I thought when I was a kid.

The lectionary – and the consistent witness of scripture – tell us otherwise. It is truly more joyful and more important to give.

I hope the Christmas spirit is still echoing in your heart, reminding you to be as generous as Christ was at Christmas.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s looking forward
to a year of deeper purpose


No comments:

Post a Comment