Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dec 6 - Luke 23:46


Recently a parent wrote, asking about how to speak to their children about grandma's illness and impending death. Over the next several days, I'm letting you "listen in" to my pastoral advice. So far we have covered the following pieces of advice: 1. Be Honest and Upfront,  2. Focus Forward,  3. Grieve Honestly, 4. Grieve with Bold Determination, 5. Understand Life, 6. Quit Denying, 7. Praying Works, 8. Time Heals Wounds

Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said,
"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."
Having said this, he breathed his last.
Luke 23:46
Be Thankful
Did you know that greed is one of the seven deadly sins?
And I must confess that I am greedy.
In fact, even when I think I've conquered the love of money, I find I'm greedy for other things. Time, for example. I want to live as long as I possibly can. And I want my loved ones to live at least as long as me.
Are you greedy for that too?
Lately though, I've been looking at my life. (Kids growing up and getting married will do that.) I'm not young anymore. But rather than trying to hold back the sands in the hour glass, do you know what I've been thinking a lot about lately?
"If Jesus only got 33 years on earth,
why do I think I deserve more?!!"
Ponder that for a minute.
Our very first breath was more than any of us ever deserve. But how many of us are far exceeding what even the Son of God received?
Rather than lamenting how fast time is flying, we ought to be more thankful for this gift of life!
And we ought to be more thankful that this world is not our home.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's learning to commend
his spirit -- and all his days --
into God's hands

No comments:

Post a Comment