Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dec 17 - 1 Timothy 4:7-8

Trian yourself in Godliness,
for while physical training is of some value,
godliness is valuable in every way.
1 Timothy 4:7-8
For many of my years in ministry, I lived in a small town. To get good competition, aspiring young athletes had to travel. When would they travel, though? On weekends. On Sundays. We'd lose families for an entire season of the year. My youth director said they worshipped God of Soccer.
I look back on my own childhood. I played every sport I could play. I went to major universities for football camps. But when was the last time I played football?!
Sports are great. They teach teamwork and discipline. As culture changes and more activities are on Sundays, our sports are also teaching that there are earthly hobbies more important than God and church. 
It's been thirty years since I've played football. "Godliness is valuable in every way." It's a life-long gift that I carry with me daily. And it transcends my youth. Indeed, it will carry me to everlasting life.
In Christ's Love,
a guy whose knee
still occasionally aches
(an old football injury)

No comments:

Post a Comment