Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13 - How to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit

T O D A Y ' S   Q U E S T I O N
How can I be filled with the Holy Spirit?
 
when you heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him,
[you] were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit
Ephesians 1:13
 
Do you know what a vacuum is?
 
Scientifically, it is "a space absolutely devoid of matter." The reason that a vacuum is known for "sucking" is that as soon as an utterly empty void cracks open -- even just a centimeter -- the surrounding atmosphere immediately rushes in to fill the void. The result? You get one big "slurrrrp."
 
So ... why am I talking about vacuums and slurps? Because every human has a God-shaped hole in their hearts. And today, I want you to think of that hole as a vacuum. As soon as our heart cracks open -- even just a centimeter -- and embraces the wonder of God through Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit rushes in to fill our void. In other words ...
 
If you believe, you are already
filled with the Holy Spirit!!!
 
But wait ... Let's not call this being "filled" with the Spirit. Being filled with the Spirit generally means something else. So let's call this an "indwelling"! Because of your faith, the Spirit already and permanently dwells within you.
 
Then starting tomorrow, we'll talk about being filled in a different way. In fact, I can't wait to learn more fully how to be filled to overflowing because I can't wait to feel more power and more purpose in my life through the Holy Spirit. 
 
But for right now ... if you can confess that Jesus is your Lord, then take a minute to pray:
 
Thank you, Holy Spirit, for coming
to permanently fill the void in my heart.
Now help me begin a journey to get to 
know you and your gifts and your power
more and more and more.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who no longer has a void in his heart
(if I could only do something
about the void between my ears)

No comments:

Post a Comment