Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10 - Ecclesiastes 12:13

The end of the matter ...
Fear God and
keep his commandments
Ecclesiastes 12:13
 
The whole of Ecclesiastes is "1:2 meaningless, meaningless." But at "the end of the matter," there's a glimmer of perspective.
 
I read it like this ... Solomon is saying essentially:
 
"I've based my life on too many worldly ways,
and I've relied on too much human wisdom,
and all I've reaped is meaninglessness.
Therefore, I will try the one thing I've missed doing
-- at least missed doing completely.
I will fear God.
I will keep all of his commands --
even the ones that don't make sense to me.
Why? Because doing it my way
didn't work completely.
It's time to do it His way.
It's time to devote myself fully to God. 
 
What time is it for you?
 
Solomon invites us to fear God. And Luke invites us -- Acts 9:31 -- to "fear God" too, but he adds one more delightful piece. When we "fear God" we also and simultaneously receive "the comfort of the Holy Spirit."
 
Ironic, isn't it? The thing our prideful, wise, and human self avoids most -- fearing, respecting, following, and completely trusting God -- is the one thing that finally brings us comfort.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who is very afraid
(of only the right thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment