Wednesday, November 29, 2017

START ADVENT TOMORROW: How-To Guide Attached!!!!

Advent is the Season of Preparation

for the coming of Christ.

 

Starting tomorrow, we’re encouraging you

(and your family) to begin praying together.

 

Here’s why … How many of you have said,

“This world is getting crazier and crazier,”

and “My life is getting busier and busier”?

 

If you’re tired of it, it’s time

to put a stake in the ground!

 

For twenty-four Days leading up to Christmas, intentionally reject the crazy busyness of the world and invest 5-10 minutes with your family, slowing down and letting the peace of God fill you.

 

Below is a potential Advent prayer service you could use. (It’s also attached in PDF form.) I really encourage you to spend 5 minutes a day.

 

·        My daily email devotions will match the prayer chains that families made last Sunday

·        But you didn’t have to be at the Advent Festival to do the devotions! Devotions are devotions!

·        Each day in my devotions you’ll find the normal daily devotion … and below it, will be a simpler version for kids and families.

·        Either way, scroll down to the bottom and spend a minute or two to answer a few questions to stir discussion and draw you deeper.

 

Here’s a devotional outline …

 

Advent Prayer Liturgy

m a y   b e   d o n e   a s   a n   i n d i v i d u a l   o r   a s   a   h o u s e h o l d

 

G a t h e r i n g

Invocation

you may mark yourself with the sign of the cross

 

We gather … in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Advent Wreath

as you light the wreath, one person may pray

or this may be read responsively

 

O Lord, be with us as we gather around this evergreen wreath.  

Stir up thy power and shine your light into the darkness that is in and around us. Amen.

 

O P E N I N G    P R A Y E R S

 

Pick one or more elements.

Options that fit your household.

Offerings to help you worship in a manner

(timely enough) that you will continue to pray daily.

 

Where Have You Seen God Today?

Invite those who gather to recall and share where

they’ve seen the presence of God at work this day.

 

If it is morning …

Luther’s Morning Prayer

leader may pray it or all gathered may pray together

I give you thanks, heavenly Father, through your dear Son Jesus Christ, that you have protected me through the night from all harm and danger. I beseech you to keep me this day, too, from all sin and evil, that in all my thoughts, words and deeds I may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all that is mine. Let your holy angel have charge of me, that the wicked one may have no power over me. Amen.

 

If it is evening …

Luther’s Evening Prayer

leader may pray it or all gathered may pray together

I give you thanks, heavenly Father, through your dear Son Jesus Christ, that you have graciously protected me through this day. I beseech you to forgive all my sin and wrong which I have done. Graciously protect me during the coming night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all that is mine. Let your holy angels have charge of me, that the wicked one may have no power over me. Amen.

 

Advent Prayer

can be spoken or sung

Come, Thou long expected Jesus

Born to set Thy people free;

From our fears and sins release us,

Let us find our rest in Thee.

Israel’s strength and consolation,

Hope of all the earth Thou art;

Dear desire of every nation,

Joy of every longing heart.

 

W O R D

 

Look for daily reflections from the church

(or find a set of Advent readings for you own use).

 

C L O S I N G    P R A Y E R S

 

Pick one or more elements.

 

Personal Prayer

One person may pray spontaneously and aloud,

or each individual may be given a chance to pray.

 

Alternative or Additional Prayer

one person may pray or this may be read responsively

 

God of Love, Your son, Jesus, is your greatest gift to us. He is the King of Creation, the Savior of the Nations, and a sign of your gracious love.

As we wait and prepare for his coming, remove our heart’s defensive armor and help us walking in your love. Amen.

 

The Lord’s Prayer

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

 

C L O S I N G

 

Benediction

one person may speak this on behalf of the household

or you may speak it together and to one another …

 

The Lord bless you and keep you;

the Lord make his face to shine on you

and be gracious unto you;

the Lord look upon you with favor

and give you peace.

Numbers 6:24-26

 

Prayer of Compassion

as we go forth in peace to love and serve the Lord,

the leader may pray or you may pray responsively.

 

O Lord, open our hearts to those who have so much less than we do; those whose lives are so full of pain that they cannot see the light of your love.

Show us how to carry that light to other people. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment