Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Nov 8 - 1 Peter 5:6

 

Humble yourselves, therefore,

under God’s mighty hand, that

he may lift you up in due time.

1 Peter 5:6

 

I shook a man’s hand recently. It was huge. Like a tree trunk.

 

I shook, and he didn’t move.

 

He shook, and he almost through me across the room.

 

I almost asked, “Where did you play football?” I should have. I could have gotten an autograph. He was former Super Bowl champion!

 

That’s my most recent experience with a “mighty hand.” But while a defensive tackle’s hand is strong, “God’s mighty hand” is absolutely massive. It is powerful. With it, he parts the Red Sea and comforts a crying widow. With his mighty hand, God provides food for the hungry and protects his children from harm.

 

Biblically, it is an awesome gift when God’s hand of protection rests upon you. Israel, for example, was invincible when God guided and guarded them. Ezra once cheered – Ezra 8:22 – “Our God’s hand of protection is on all who worship him, but …” But is a hard word in Scripture. Throughout Scripture, God tends to bless the faithful … but … after seasons of rebellion, God would often remove his hand of protection and allow his people to fall into a different hand – the hand of the enemy.

 

So … do you know the secret of being blessed by “God’s mighty hand”? It is to “humble yourselves.”

 

Now, that’s a hard thing to do. God is so big. He’s mighty. He’s powerful. He could toss me further than a pro football player. Do I truly trust myself to his care? Will you really and truly humble yourself? Will you follow his ways? Will you trust that he knows better for you than you do?

 

Well, when you trust in the Lord, “God’s mighty hand [will] lift you up.” And if you don’t, then another hand will inevitably crush you.

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who trusts God’s

big hands to lift me up;

rather than death’s

inevitable fingers

to pull me down

 

No comments:

Post a Comment