Saturday, November 12, 2016

Devotions 11/13: Ecclesiastes 2:1-3

 

I said in my heart, “Come now,

I will test you with pleasure; enjoy yourself.”

But behold, this also was vanity.

I said of laughter, “It is mad,”

and of pleasure, “What use is it?”

I searched with my heart how to cheer my body with wine

—my heart still guiding me with wisdom—

and how to lay hold on folly,

till I might see what was good

for the children of man to do under heaven

during the few days of their life.

Ecclesiastes 2:1-3

 

Guest Devotion Writer – Pastor Nate Wolcott

 

One thing that strikes me about our American culture is how focused we are on entertainment.  According to Barna Group, 62% of Americans watch 3 or more hours of TV a day.  30% of those are watching more than 5 hours… a day!  I would say that I never did such a thing, but honestly I very much used to watch many many many hours during football season.  Hey, many times I was multitasking, working on homework with the game or a show on for background noise.  I probably worked slower, but it got done, and so it wasn’t wasted time…

 

But let’s be honest.  Our society and culture push the idea that time when we are not working should be spent being entertained.  Win the lottery, and what do people say they’re going to do?  Quit their job and go to Mouseworld™. 

 

We don’t do well in silence.  We want to have a show on, or be engaged in a hobby.  I enjoy doing a lot of things!  I have to remind myself the teaching of the Bible: the richest king and the wisest king tested his heart with every pleasure and hobby he could think of and afford, and his verdict?  “It is vanity.”  Vanity, which more literally translated would be “a mere breath.”  The NIV renders it as “meaningless.”  The HSB translates it as “futility.” 

 

Entertainment is often times just a diversion from things which actually have significance. 

 

Many times I have an unsettled feeling in my soul, and instead of turning to God and seeking peace, I turn to a diversion to seek distraction from the uncomfortable feeling.  Every time I make that wrong choice, I’m choosing an idol over my God. 

 

I’m not saying that watching TV is evil, or that playing sports with our kids or reading a novel is sin.  However I have noticed in myself that frequently games and diversions and videos online is something I end up doing because I’ve not intentionally chosen to do something better.  Very frequently this is what turns me away from spending time with the Father in whom I am supposed to be finding my delight.

 

As we look at how we can take time to pursue joy in relationship with God through prayer and the study of his love letter to us, I challenge you (and myself) to take a hard look at your entertainents and diversions.

 

Are your diversions of no lasting significance getting in the way of the one eternal relationship you are offered? 

 

Come as you are, but by all means COME.

 

For the King who is worthy

of all of me and not the scraps of me,

Pastor Nate Wolcott

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment