Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Apr 28 - 41 - 1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins,

God who is faithful and just

will forgive us our sins and

purify us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9

Bible Rank: 41

 

These words are woven into my heart. (That's part of what liturgy does.)

 

For thirty years Sunday mornings started with 1 John 1 (including verse 8). It was indeed a morning wake up call: if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves. 


I had a choice. I could start the day with a lie, excusing my sins. Or I could own up to my failures ... and discover freedom -- but if we confess our sins, God who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 


It was a Sunday morning wake up call. 


It ought to be a daily reminder. 


A new day ought to be a clean slate. But it's not eight ours between the sheets that makes it new. It's not the earth rotating a third of the way on its axis, the sun rising, the birds chirping, or the dew on the grass. It's God who gives us another day and allows us start again ... purified, forgiven, ready, clean. 


And he's faithful. And just. And he will do this ... when we confess. When we (re)turn to him and live. 


In Christ's Love,

a guy who is writing this

in the morning, birds chirping,

dogs at my feet, coffee in hand,

confessing, forgiven, and new

 

No comments:

Post a Comment