Monday, April 11, 2016

Apr 12 - 28 - Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the LORD

with all your heart

and lean not on your

own understanding

Proverbs 3:5

Bible Rank: 28

 

I’m a doer. I confess it. I honestly like to be busy and active.

 

I’m pretty smart, a natural thinker. And I naturally lean on my own understanding.

 

By nature – as a pretty capable guy – I also tend to trust in my own skills and ability.

 

Oops.

 

God is big. I am not. And when I refuse to heed God’s wisdom and trust in my own abilities, I not only miss out on God’s wisdom, insight, power, and provision … but I am slowly plotting my own destruction.

 

When I rely on myself, I get only what I can manufacture … which sometimes seems like a lot.

 

The lie is that since I’m pretty capable, I think I can take care of myself. And that works, until I can’t take care of myself. So what happens when I’m sick, depressed, unemployed, injured, betrayed, dying, or grieving? Precisely when I need help the most, I have it the least … because all I’ve learned to rely upon is myself (who is now powerless). Oops. Oops. Oops. Ouch.

 

The secret to life is humbling ourselves in advance. It is learning to walk by faith, not by sight. It is obeying God’s Word, rather than thinking I know better myself. It is following his promptings, even when I can’t see why he’s asking me to do something hard. The secret to life – indeed – learning to trust in the Lord with all your heart and [to] lean not on your own understanding.

 

In Christ’s Love,

a capable mess

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment