Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Nov 12 - Matthew 6:13a

Jesus said,

Do not lead us to

the time of trial ...

Matthew 6:13a

What is the difference between Jesus' more literal phrasing of the Lord's Prayer ("Do not lead us to the time of trial") vs. the common liturgical prayer that we say each week ("Lead us not into temptation")?


Temptation, as we said yesterday, is internal. It is the way that you and I respond to various stimuli around us. What tempts me may not tempt you – and vise-versa. Temptation is often a measure of the weaknesses and vulnerabilities within our hearts. Internally, will I sway or will I stand? It's that old measure of integrity – Who are we when no one is looking?

But in the more literal translation of Matthew 6, Jesus is talking about both internal and external "times of trial." And often it is the external circumstances that create internal crises. Therefore, part of what we are praying is for God to lead us not to the external places (and situations) where we will be internally tempted. 

Now, temptation (or more accurately, what we do with temptation) is a choice. We'll talk more tomorrow about where God "leads us into" and how -- and if -- he tempts us or not. But today we want to stick with where we lead ourselves. Do we put ourselves in danger? When and why do we go where we know we really shouldn't go? What within us is vulnerable, and what should we, therefore, guard against?

When I pray the word "temptation" rather than "time of the trial," I am praying for God to do his part in helping ME do MY part. 

And I do have a part. It's often called wisdom – God's wisdom. I need to stay away from places where I know I am vulnerable. I need to stay away from people who make me vulnerable. I need to keep myself from being too hungry, too angry, too lonely, too tired -- indeed, the warning bells from the acronym HALT can keep us from many vulnerable situations. 

      When, where, and in what ways do you know that you are vulnerable? Pray for God to do his part in helping you do your part. 

In Christ's Love,

a guy whose greatest

temptation is ...

cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment