Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Aug 27 - 1 Timothy 3:16

Without any doubt,

the mystery of our religion is great:

He was revealed in flesh,

vindicated in spirit,

seen by angels,

proclaimed among Gentiles,

believed in throughout the world,

taken up in glory.

1 Timothy 3:16


Yesterday, we talked about what a theological "mystery" is. Basically it is an opportunity to trust in God – even when we don’t fully understand something yet. (Or it is equally an opportunity to doubt and deny).

 

Today, let's ask what the mystery IS that the Apostle Paul is proclaiming. What, indeed, is the wondrous mystery of the Gospel?

 

To unravel this mysterious truth and revelation, let's look at the verbs. Jesus was

 

·         "revealed,"

·         "vindicated" (cleared victoriously of the false charges against him),

·         "seen" (witnessed),

·         "proclaimed,"

·         "believed," and

·         "taken up in glory" (exalted).


When we study those verbs, most of these are God's actions. The others are our response. And the wonderful blessing of the Gospel occurs when God's actions intersect with our response. 


What are God's actions revealed here through Jesus Christ?

 

·         Jesus was "revealed." Throughout the ages, our Lord was "hidden" in heaven (though his glory could be clearly seen -- see Romans 1:20ff). But with his incarnation, coming in human flesh, the Messiah -- and God's plan of redemption -- was fully revealed. 

 

·         Jesus was "vindicated." as we said above, he was victoriously cleared of the false charges against him. And what was the proof of his righteous innocence? His resurrection! He was accused of blasphemy, of saying that he was God. The resurrection validated his claims and vindicated his name. 

 

·         And he was "taken up in glory." He was exalted. He lives and reigns at the right hand of the Father. He is King. Victorious. Reigning forever. 


And what is our human response? 

 

·         The first response is to "believe." Do we trust this revelation or not? Do we bow our hearts to this King?

 

·         The second response -- to all who have "seen" him (whether we saw him resurrected in First Century Israel or whether we witness him powerfully with our heart today) -- is to "proclaim." If The Lord of heaven and your Savior is King of your life, don't keep it a secret!

 

In Christ's Love,

a guy who wants to witness

the wonderful blessing of the Gospel

which occurs when God's actions

(revealing, forgiving, and saving)

intersect with my faith and proclamation

 

 

 

 

 


What is a "mystery" -- especially in terms of faith and religion?

 

Well ... it's something that may be hard to explain, BUT it is not incomprehensible. 

 

It is generally something bigger than our limited brains ... and rarely do we like admitting that! We like to be large and in charge. But Comprehending a religious mystery requires humble submission and trust -- and most of us don't like submission and generally it's hard to trust what we can't see or fully make sense of. 

 

But isn't that what faith ultimately is? 

 

It is admitting that there is a being bigger than us. 

It is trusting in the wonders of his revelations -- whether they are wonderful or mysterious. 

As it says in Hebrews 11:1, "faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." 

 

My translation of that is this: "Faith is a conviction in a few key mysteries, and it is the blessed assurance that comes increasingly when God's power and presence intersects with our feeble faith!"

 

Tomorrow, we'll focus on the content of the mystery proclaimed in 1 Timothy 3:16. Today, we'll simply pray ...

 

"1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me.2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away.4 Even before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it completely.6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.7 Where ... can I flee from your presence?8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there ...; 9 If I ... settle at the farthest limits of the sea,10 even there your hand shall lead me ..." 

 

Lord, you are bigger than I am. Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts. Help me bend my heart to the wonders of your ways ... and Truth ... and the revelations of your Word. And help me, along with the Psalmist, to "14 praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well.23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts.24 See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

 

In Christ's Love,

a guy who turns 

mysteries to praise

... rather than 

mysteries into doubts

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment