Monday, August 25, 2014

Aug 25 - Psalm 119:73

give me understanding

that I may learn

Psalm 119:73


School is starting. 

 

·         This week we pray for students: May they gain knowledge and discover truth. 

·         And this week we pray for teachers: Thank you for tending our children. May God give you patience ... and boldness … as you impart Truth (rather then just pass along information). 

·         And this week we pray for parents: Your role is crucial. You shape values, teach priorities, and inspire faith. May God equip you for this ministry … for the sake of your children in this vulnerable age. 

 

As we begin this week of learning and equipping, we turn to the Psalms -- in fact, to the longest Psalm. Psalm 119 is all about learning. And in Psalm 119:73 we cry with the Psalmist: "give me understanding that I may learn ..."


Look at those two key words. "Learning" is defined as "acquiring knowledge." "Understanding" is knowing what to do with that knowledge. Learning often focuses on facts and information. Understanding is deeper; it usually involves wisdom, application, values, and purpose. 


We don't just want our children to learn. We want them to understand, apply, and act wisely. 


And part of the most important learning is knowing what to learn. So ... what should we learn? Listen to the Psalms ...

 

·         Psalm 119:7 I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances.

·         Psalm 119:71 It is good for me that I was humbled, so that I might learn your statutes.

·         Psalm 119:73 Your hands have made and fashioned me; give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.


What should we really learn? What is the only thing that will endure forever? It is taking to heart God's "way of life"

-- including his righteous laws, commands, and statutes. 


In Christ's Love,

a guy who is praying for

students, teachers, and parents

that chemistry, calculus, and ABC's

may be undergirded with

righteousness too

 

 



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment