Tuesday, June 18, 2013

June 18 - Isaiah 55:8

For my thoughts
are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways,
says the Lord.
Isaiah 55:8

Most of us hunger to hear God’s voice.

We know our lives would be simpler and our direction firmer if God would just speak and guide clearly.

Today’s verse seems to imply a barrier to that. If God’s “thinks differently” than me, how will I be able to comprehend it, right? Wrong. What Isaiah 55 tells essentially us is that we stand on the horizon, and our view is limited. God stands above the horizon! And he sees all and knows all. And because he loves all, I should trust in his guidance.

Do you want to hear from a trustworthy God?

Isaiah says in our chapter today, “Ho, everyone who thirsts, come …” That’s the first step. Come to God.

How and where? That’s the next question. Isaiah says, “Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters.” That sounds logical. But what do the waters represents.

And it’s at this point, that I’ll let my son teach me. My son Robbie’s favorite passage is Isaiah 55:8-11. He’s awed by God in verse 8. But it’s verse 10 that tells us what the water and the quenching of our thirst really is. The prophet says …

10 For as the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return there
until they have watered the earth …
11 so shall my word be
that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish
that which I purpose.

Did you catch it? Rain falls and waters the earth. Similarly, God’s word falls and quenches our thirst.

BUT … if we thirst, we must come to the word … or our souls will be dry.

Read those last words of 11. If we want God’s purpose to be accomplished – including lead, guiding, and blessing our lives – we must come to the word.

In Christ’s Love,
A dad who’s glad
That his son is thirsty
… and teaches his old man

No comments:

Post a Comment