Tuesday, June 11, 2013

June 11 - Joshua 1:1-9

Only then will you succeed.
Joshua 1:8

Today we have been invited to read Joshua 1:1-9Let’s do that together, and as you do, look for three themes: The Promise, The Stance, and The Source.  Let’s do this together …

1 After the death of Moses the LORD's servant, the LORD spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' assistant. He said, 2 "Now that my servant Moses is dead, you must lead my people across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. 3 I promise you what I promised Moses: 'Everywhere you go, you will be on land I have given you -- 4 from the Negev Desert in the south to the Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River on the east to the Mediterranean Sea on the west, and all the land of the Hittites.' 5 No one will be able to stand their ground against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.

The Promise: Did you see it? God will, one, give them the Promised Land. And God will, two, go with them and unfailingly fight for them.

6 "Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give their ancestors. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. 8 Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. 9 I command you -- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.

The Stance: I’m sure you saw this one too. Our stance is to be strong and courageous. (Can’t you almost see a warrior preparing for battle – chest out, jaw set, steely look in his eyes?)

But there’s a second part to this! What enables us to be strong? The Lord says that it comes from meditating on and obeying God’s commands.

The Source: There’s only one half verse left as we look for the reason – and the power – to take a stand:

9b For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s glad that this promise
was not only for old Israel.
I can make bold stands too
and if they’re based on God’s promises
I can be warrior-strong.





No comments:

Post a Comment