Friday, January 28, 2011

January 28 - Genesis 41:15-16

And Pharaoh said to Joseph,
"I have had a dream,
and there is no one who can interpret it.
I have heard it said of you that
when you hear a dream you can interpret it."
Joseph answered Pharaoh,
"It is not I. It is God who ..."
Genesis 41:15-16
 
Some people practically petition for compliments. Me? I'm really not so good at accepting affirmations. In fact, most of us are sometimes unsure of what to say and how to act when fawning praise comes our way. Therefore, we often hem and haw and look down and blush and force a smile and ...
 
Over the years, I've had to learn to get better at accepting a compliment. After all, it's only polite.
 
But I have a friend who responds much better. When someone compliments him, he immediately points up at God.
 
What makes it so endearing is that it's honest, spontaneous, and sincere. Some of us could fake it, but it's powerful to be in the presence of someone who really does give all the credit and all the glory to God.
 
That's what Joseph did in today's lesson. Pharoah flattered him, saying essentially, "I hear you're a great, powerful, important man who can interpret dreams." Joseph could have blushed and looked at his shoes and said, "Well, shucks. I guess I can." But his response was honest, spontaneous, and sincere: "It is not I, but God ..."
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants
that honesty, sincerity,
and spontaneity.
After all, it is all God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment