Monday, May 24, 2010

____________________
May 26

He [Jesus] must increase,
but I [John the Baptist] must decrease."

John 3:30


Daily I am praying for revival -- mine, first; our church, our nations.

Someone said to me recently that "I heard revivals are often short-lived."

"It's true," I said, "The Holy Spirit comes down powerfully for a period of time. And then that magnificent seasons sometimes ends as quickly as it started."

"Do we really want to pray for something that may come and go."

"Absolutely," I said, "after all, do you know how long John the Baptist's ministry was? I've heard that it was maybe as short as six months. But wouldn't it be worth everything in creation to be as alive as John for even six months ... and have even a fraction of his impact on the kingdom?"

And wouldn't you love a faith so trusting that could joyfully say, "If something better may increase, let my moment decrease?"

In Christ's Love,
a guy who says,
"my whole life here on earth
for six months like that!"

____________________
May 25

"God did not send the Son
into the world to condemn the world,
but in order that the world
might be saved through him."
John 3:17

If you love John 3:16 ... I invite you to love the next verse just as much.

John 3:16 is full of love, grace, forgiveness, and the remarkable assurance that God loves YOU so much that he's (and the son) are willing to submit to the pain of death for YOU.

John 3:17 adds one more assurance ... Many people see God (and church and Christians) as legalistic and judgmental. The sacrifical life of Jesus is, however, the exact opposite of condemnation.

Many of us are imprisoned by our past sins and too many say, "God can't forgive me."
John 3:17 reminds us that Christ is literally dying to forgive you.

Condemation? No! Freedom.

In Christ's Love,
a guy who believes
that those who don't know history
are condemned to repeat it
(if we don't remember the history of the cross,
we force ourselves to continually relive
our hopelessness because of past sins)

____________________
May 24

Jesus answered him,
"Are you a teacher of Israel,
and yet you do not understand these things?"

John 3:10


Read Jesus' words again. Our fear of not knowing everything absolutely paralyzes God's church. Therefore ...

+ We don't go to Bible Studies ("I might not know something and look stupid").
+ We don't evangelize ("What if they ask me something I don't know?").
+ And we don't teach -- our kids or classes at church ("I don't know enough").

I was in a Bible study a few weeks ago and threw out a term that I thought was readily understandable. One of the longer-term students in the group finally said, "What does that mean?!" And all the others cheered. "Thank you."

I loved the hunger to understand! And I loved -- even more -- the willingness to risk asking the question. I am certain that Jesus did too when he said to Nicodemous, "are you a teacher ... and yet do not understand ..." He wasn't judging! He was clarifying what was and wasn't known so that in John 3 he could teach some of history's deepest truths. (Where would we be without Nicodemus' questions and John 3:16?)

Fear paralyzes us ... and the church. Be bold. Clarify. Everyone will be richer.

In Christ's Love,
a dumb guy
(because I haven't always asked the right questions
and have been dumber because of it)

+

No comments:

Post a Comment