Tuesday, May 18, 2010

____________________
May 20

In the world ye shall have tribulation:
but be of good cheer;
I have overcome the world.

John 16:33


Confirmation used to be an ordeal for many young Lutherans. "Every Sunday we had to sit on the front row of the church and take notes on the Pastor's sermon. And he'd stare down from us from the pulpit whenever we missed jotting down one of the points."

We live in a kinder, gentler era of church going. Much of it is for the better. But there was a very good purpose for this notetaking. We remember about 5% of what we hear, but we remember about 15-20% of what we write down.

Therefore, if you want my sermons to four times better, take notes!!!

I'm reminded of this because of an email I received today entitled, "Your Sermon Blessed My Socks Off." I opened it immediately (of course) ... and I pass on to you as an encouragement to be a notetaker ...

Dear Pastor Ed,

Last week I ran into notes I took from one of your sermons preached some time ago. It was based on, "In this world you will have tribulations, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world."

You asked, "what would our lives look like if when we experienced tribulations we realized Jesus had already overcome it? We would then be able to be Of Good Cheer.

You also quoted, "your new name will be contentment ... joyful and ______. (My notes are at home and I am at work.)

I don't know how much that sermon blessed me the first time but after spending the last 5 days [in] reflection and prayer ... it blessed me immensely--it made me JOYFUL.

I just wanted to bless you for blessing me.

God has more blessings in store for each of us than we can possibly remember. (So take notes ... you may remember a few more!)

Note: I know of another member who carries a notebook in her purse. All the sermons and all her blessings go in that book. It's a traveling treasury of insight and joy.

In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to develop writer's cramp
from remembering and writing down
all of God's lessons and blessings

____________________
May 19

And lead us not into temptation ...

Matthew 6:13

I love it when people ask me questions about faith and scripture. Occasionally, I will pass them on to the rest of you, figuring if one person's interest, others may be too. Here's today's question ...

How do you explain the phrase of the Lord's Prayer that says "Lead us not into temptation" when the Bible says that God does not tempt us? (James 1:13-14)

1
God does NOT tempt us -- nor lead us in that direction.
How does we know this? Because it is never God's desire for us to enter into sin because sin is incompatable with God's nature. As it says in 1 John 3:9, "[when] God's seed [God's life, God's nature] abides in [us], [we will not] make a practice of sinning."

2
Nevertheless, God allows us to be put into situations where our faith is tested and strengthened.
As it says in 1 Peter 1:7, "These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold -- and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold.

3
Where do we find hard, challenging, tempting situations? In every corner of daily life!
As Paul puts it -- 1 Cor 10:13 -- "No temptation has seized you except what is common to [all]."

4
What's our hope? God! His power. His guidance. His intervention ... as we allow him to truly work through us.
Again Paul says -- same verse 1 Corinthians 10:13 -- "When you are tempted, [God] will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

SUMMARY
Does God lead us into temptation? No. Life does! And life's hard knocks can purify us if we let them.
. Furthermore, we need to take strength in this: God will protect us in and through all our trials if we let him!
Again 1 Corinthians 10:13 -- "God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear."

In Christ's Love,
a guy who's succumbed to temptations
and is continually learning to rely on God's power
instead of mine

____________________
May 18

"I saw you under the fig tree"

John 1:48


At the moment Jesus met Nathanael, Jesus immediately revealed a few key things about Nathanael's life.

Nathanael's jaw dropped. "How do you know me?"

"I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you," said Jesus.

Spiritual sight! Jesus saw Nathanael. Our Lord sees all things. Jesus gave Nathanael a glimpse of this power. Nathanael began to see Jesus as the Son of God. But Jesus said, "you will see greater things than these."

God sees us -- indeed, watches over us -- but even more so, he invites us to see him. Through Scripture ... and prayer ... and experiences ... and church ... and through Jesus himself ... we catch glimpses of God's love.

I heard someone complain recently about not believing in God because they see too many Christians who are hypocrits and too many churches that are imperfect. Then I heard someone respond, don't look at people and institutions, look at Jesus.

When you look down, you'll inevitably be disappointed. But when you look up, you will see "greater things" -- greater love, greater peace, greater hope, greater joy, greater forgiveness, greater life.

In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to go
from good to great

+

No comments:

Post a Comment