Friday, August 21, 2009

Restarting Devotions!!!

I woke up this morning with a hunger. I've missed writing and some of that time with God in faith. It's truly one of my best ways of devotion. But as cancer and recovery and exhaustion have filled our summer - and as surgery will more than fill our next week (please pray for Mary Louise next Tuesday) - I haven't been able to spend my personal life-giving hour writing. Time's too precious. But not spending time has left me a little empty.

What to do?

Shorter!

Not a whole Psalm, but one simple verse.

I can read a verse in the morning. I can turn it in my head as I go through my morning routine. (That by the way is what "meditation" is - turning a godly thought over and over in your head, letting it seep into and fill and change your being.) Then I can write. No more than 100 words (which was about 30 words ago . so quick, simple).

I haven't made it through the Psalms. That'll be for another day, another season of life. And that's okay. Today's season for me is . meditate . shorter . sweeter . forgive not reaching an old goal . set a new one.

My source for the verse of the day:
http://www.topverses.com/ Sometimes I'll go in order. Sometimes I'll pull from what I'm preaching on this fall. For example, this fall our theme is: The five preachers - Jesus (Sermon on the Mount), James (James), John (1 John), Peter (2 Peter), and Paul (Titus). I might start with the top verses from our first book: Titus.

When will I start? I'll give you a taste today. I woke up meditating on John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (which, by the way, is top verse 3 - it deserves to be up there . I wonder who ranks them!).

But I won't start until after the surgery. Let's say the day after Labor Day - the unofficial start to fall.

Again, please pray for Mary Louise.

In Christ's Love,

Pastor Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment