Friday, May 29, 2009

Psalm 86

"I tend to work the nightshift." Those were the words of a man who said he stayed awake too many nights worrying. Those long nights, he said, were his laboratory. It was there he learned to trust all things to God.

Tonight, I too am working the nightshift. Five feet away is my wife who is peacefully asleep. Surgery for her went well today.

Therefore, the nightshift tonight (4:39am) is not worrying ... but thankgiving!

"10 [O Lord,] you are great and perform great miracles ... 12 With all my heart I will praise you ... I will give glory to your name forever."

That's the thanksgiving report from today's nightshift! Thank God for his graciousness. Thank YOU, dear friends in Christ, for your prayers ... and hugs ... and cards ... and flowers ... and food ... and heartfelt offers of support. And thanks be to God for the care of our surgeon. Yes, this night, the report is thanksgiving.

But tomorrow might be different, mightn't it?

Tomorrow, the pain medication may wear off and a new dose of reality may set it. Next month chemo may exact a steeper toll than even a surgery. Instead of "Thank you, Lord!" what can you imagine us crying on other nights?

+ 1 Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer; answer me, for I need your help.

+ 2 Protect me, for I am devoted to you.

+ 3 Be merciful, O Lord, for I am calling on you constantly.

+ 4 Give me happiness, O Lord, for my life depends on you.

+ 6 Listen closely to my prayer, O LORD; hear my urgent cry.

+ 16 Look down and have mercy on me. Give strength to your servant ...

+ 17 Send me a sign of your favor ... O Lord, help and comfort me.

Throughout the Psalms, King David constantly oscilates between hope and fear ... trust and doubt ... pleading and thanksgiving. A directory of human emotions plays out on every page of the Psalms -- just like it plays out on every page of our lives. Today, for my family, the morning's concern has given way to this evening's thanksgiving. Tomorrow, our thanksgiving may just as likely give way to a new round of concerns.

And suddenly, I'm truly beginning to understand the full weight of Jesus words, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today" (Matthew 6:34).

In fact, suddenly, I'm beginning to understand the full meaning of the verse right before that too: "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33).

When God is sought and when God is first ...

hope is mingled in with our fears ...
joy is sprinkled alongside our tears ...
love is stirred into our lonliness ...
healing battles earthly illness ...
light conquers darkness ...
forgiveness defeats sin ...
and life doesn't have to be
the sum of our worries.
Thank you God for the healing of today.
Please continue to pour upon us
hope and joy, healing and light.
And thank you, Lord, for dear friends in faith
to walk this journey with.

No comments:

Post a Comment