Sunday, May 24, 2009

Psalm 84

I like the image of a huge, old temple. Great columns. Arching doorways ... but no doors.

No doors?

Can't you just imagine a temple so busy that there's never a chance to close the doors?!

But ... no closed doors presents just one problem: birds!
Arching doorways and no doors means "3 the swallow builds her nest ... at a place near [God's] altar."

How irreverent, right?

But only if you're legalistic. What if -- in the midst of your prayers in the temple -- you looked at the birds as a parable. Legalistic religion always teaches people to be afraid of God, but the song of these birds echoes Hebrews 4:16 -- "Let us therefore approach [God's] throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Jesus wound up putting it this way -- Matthew 6:26 -- "Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"

This is a Psalm of yearning: "2 I ... long[] to enter the courts of the Lord."

This is a Psalm of bold worship: "2 with my whole being" I will approach your throne of grace as "12 trust[ing]" as the birds.

This is a Psalm of joy: "2 I will shout joyfully to the living God."

Life is sometimes hard, but on the other side of "6 the Valley of Weeping," this worship "6 will become a place of refreshing springs where pools of blessing collect after the rains!"

Indeed, "10 a single day in [God's] courts is better than a thousand anywhere else!"

"5 Happy are those who are strong in [you, O] Lord ...
12 [H]appy are those who trust in you.
8 [Therefore,] hear my prayer.
11 [You are my] light and protector.
[You] give[ me] grace and glory.
No good thing will [you] withhold from those who do what is right."
Therefore, O Lord, I commit myself to your cause
and I humbly ask _______________________."

No comments:

Post a Comment