Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Dev: Dec 8 - Isaiah 9:4,6

For the yoke of their burden,

the rod of their oppressor,
you have broken …

For a child has been

born for us …

Isaiah 9

 

In yesterday’s look at Isaiah 9, we breezed passed an important word. Today, I want to slow us down and consider one important word: “Yoke.”

 

What does this prophecy in today’s passage tell us about the coming Messiah? It prophesies that Jesus, the Christ Child, has come to “br[eak] the yoke of [our] burden.”

 

Well, do you know what a yoke is?

 

A yoke is what connects one ox to another.

 

Now, these two oxen are slaves, pulling a heavy load, side-by-side. And scripture tells us that we are all – eventually and inevitably – going to yoke ourselves to something.

 

·         If we yoke ourselves to the world, we’ll be slaves to the world and get worldly results.

·         If we yoke ourselves to darkness, we’ll be slaves to oppression and despair.

·         If we deceive ourselves and pretend that this yoking is not real, we’ll be like the fool that Proverbs constantly warns us about. We may eat, drink, and be merry, but inevitably, disappointment, hurt, meaningless, sickness, and death will catch up with us.

 

That’s one alternative.

 

Here’s the other: Jesus says, “Come to me all who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt 11:28-30

 

Yes, we can willingly submit ourselves to Christ – who helps carry our load for us – or … we will be submitted to the burdens of this world. (Guess which is the better option!)

 

The Apostles described being yoked to the world like this: “For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, despicable, hating one another.” Titus 3:3

 

I say it again: That’s one option.

 

Do you want to know the other option?!

 

·         It’s to willingly become a slave of Jesus Christ!

·         It’s taking the yoke of Jesus upon ourselves – willingly – and letting him pull for you and with you.

 

With great irony and wondrous faith, the Apostles Paul and Timothy counted submission to Christ as the most freeing thing in all creation. Indeed, as they begin their letter to the Church in Philippi, listen to how they describe their relationship to Jesus: “[This letter is] from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. To all those in Philippi who are God’s people in Christ Jesus.” Phil 1:1

 

Jesus wants to break the yoke of your burdens. That’s why he – the Messiah – came to this world. And he says, indeed,

 

“Come to me

all who are weary and

carrying heavy burdens,

and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you,

and learn from me;

for I am gentle and

humble in heart,

and you will find

rest for your souls. 

For my yoke is easy,

and my burden is light.”

Matt 11:28-30

 

In Christ’s Love,

a guy who’s figured out

what to get himself

for Christmas

(I’m not going clothes shopping.

I’m going yoke shopping.

It’ll be my style statement

for the New Year!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment