Friday, October 5, 2012

Oct 5 - Psalm 23:6a

Surely goodness and mercy
shall follow me all the days of my life
Psalm 23:6a
KJV

I’ve heard this passage all of my life. I’ve always liked the promise of “goodness … all the days of my life.” But I’ve never stopped to think about what it means to have goodness following me.

While I’m absolutely thankful for every past blessing, I’d generally prefer (and eagerly request) for better days to be ahead of me than behind me. So what does it mean, that “goodness and mercy follow me”?

Here’s what I think …

In John 10:24, Jesus says, “My sheep recognize my voice … and they follow me.” The good shepherd is in front of us, and good sheep follow behind.

Now, carry that a step further, if you’re a good sheep, what’s following you? Other sheep.

I’ve not looked this up to see if this is the official meaning of this verse; nevertheless, I invite you to hear today a call to leadership (in addition to the ever-present call to discipleship and following).

It’s been said that every Christian ought to look like a sheep from the front and a shepherd from behind.

Who are you following and learning from? Who are you leading and teaching?

Discover the joy of having those who follow you walk in the paths of goodness and peace.

In Christ’s Love,
a sheepdog,
I try to follow and lead

No comments:

Post a Comment